If you’re already struggling to meet your new year’s resolutions – whether you’re trying to quit smoking, loose 10 pounds, or trim your spending – we’ve come up with five top tips to keep you green in 2010.
If we do nothing, rising global temperatures will seriously affect our personal health and the health of our planet. So, we at Healthy Planet have a few things you can do right now to help combat climate change that might tick some of your other new year’s resolution boxes as well.
Healthy Planet’s top tips to help save the planet
1. Adopt land in one of the world’s protected parks
Making a difference to environmental change can be easier than you might think. Join Stephen Fry and Nigel Marven to become a land guardian – choose and personalise your plot in any of the world’s 70,000 protected parks in 2010 using Google technology. Adopt land now.
2. Get a unique code for your school Follow in the footsteps of Eastenders’ Charlie Brooks to make the most of your cash, help your school and help the planet at the same time. By using a school’s unique code for every plot you adopt, starting from £20, you will be funding Healthy Planet’s conservation work and £9 (45%) will be given back to your choosen school in a Healthy Learning grant. Help your school and help the planet.
3. Encourage local businesses to turn their empty commercial space green
Healthy Planet charity qualifies for an 80% rates concession, so if you’re paying business rates on empty commercial space then you could save 50% or more on your rates by handing over your empty office and retail space to us. We’ll brighten up your high street with images of beautiful parkland and encourage your community to think green too. Save on rates with us.
4. Get healthy and reap the rewards
Sign up to our “Healthy Choices” Rewards Programme and/or adopt land to earn more rewards for taking steps to a healthier planet. We believe that rewarding healthy choices encourages even more healthy choices. Start earning rewards.
5. Make some small changes to your lifestyle to make a big difference to the planet
Here are some great ideas from across the web to get you started today.
- Leave the car at home; walk, cycle or use public transport when you can.
- Save water; take a shower instead of a bath.
- Change to low energy light bulbs.
- Buy the most energy efficient and water saving appliances you can afford.
- Take reusable bags with you when you go shopping.
- Sign up with Green programs with your energy supplier.
- Purchase products without unnecessary packaging.
- Grow plants native to your area in your garden.
- Remember the three R’s: Reduce, Recycle and Reuse.
Check out Act on CO2 for more ideas.